Milburn Light Electric Coupe 1921

Milburn Light Electric Coupe 1921

0.00
This 1921 Milburn Light Electric was manufactured in Toledo, Ohio. Only 4000 Electric vehicles were produced by Milburn between 1915-1923. Purchased new in Adelaide by the daughters of Peter Waite, who lived in Urbrae, South Australia- now the famous Waite Institute. Advertising for this model was pitched at female customers and highlited ease of operation and feminine stylishness. The car presents itself as a drawing room on wheels, with plush trim and deep cushions! There is ease of conversation with the passengers who sit opposite the driver. The driver operates from the rear LH seat. Steering was by tiller, above the tiller and on the same shaft was the control leaver. Moved forwards the control leaver actuated progressive changes to give 4 forward speeds, two speed reverse was actuated by pressing a button on the floor and pulling back the control leaver. Final drive was via a 60 volt motor through a worm gear differential. Cruising speed was around 15mph, its range was around 50 miles. Batteries were stored in the front and rear compartments, their weight was an undeniable handicap!This very rare car has been beautifully restored by Eric Rainsford in 1984 and on display at the National Motor Museum at Birdwood, South Australia for many years. We believe this magnificent example to be the only survivor in Australia, it is now ready for a new custodian.
Add To Cart